Thursday, September 5, 2013

Several years ago, in the early days of the CT Scanner, I was an engineer tasked with maintaining a system in a high-volume trauma center.
The scanner had been down for a few hours, when one of the radiologists came in proceeded to tell me that it had to be fixed in one hour. I explained to him that it would only take ten minutes to fix it, once I found out what was wrong. He didn't like that response and stormed out.
About thirty minutes later, he returned again demanded the system be up and running right now. I told him that it would be running as soon as I fixed it. He asked how long does that take and I told him ten minutes, that is ten minutes after I figure out what is wrong. He stormed out again, even more red in the face.
He came back about 30 minutes later, and ask, "Why can\'t you just throw a fix on it and start it up?"
I explained to him that "just throwing a fix on it might damage it worse."
He said so what you can fix it again. I, by then really tired of him wasting my time, told him, "Look sir, when you do a procedure and you screw up, you can just bury the patient and go home, I have to stay till I get it fixed."
He looked stunned, left and came with a much-needed coffee and left me alone for the rest of the repair time.

No comments:

Post a Comment